Let’s Talk: Conducting Brief Interventions using a Motivational Interviewing Approach
This training provides you with useful knowledge and skills to undertake Brief Interventions as part of your day-to-day work in the alcohol and other drug field.
You will receive a foundational introduction to Motivational Interviewing and have access to different video-demonstrations and practical tools. This course includes a downloadable workbook, various handouts and links to evidence-based resources.
It is a fully funded workforce development course and therefore available to you at no cost.
Completing this course will help you:
Who is the course for?
This course is designed to support healthcare professionals to undertake brief interventions, using a motivational interviewing approach, when working with people experiencing harms from their alcohol and/or other drug use.
- Welcome to the course
- Course Outline and Workbook
- Administrative items
- What are Brief Interventions?
- Are they effective and evidence based?
- Benefits and Barriers to conducting Brief Interventions
- What is Motivational Interviewing?
- The Spirit of Motivational Interviewing (PACE)
- Guiding Principles of Motivational Interviewing (RULE)
- Therapeutic Alliance
- Stages of Change Model and Stage Based Interventions
- Change and Sustain Talk (EARS)
- Core Skills of Motivational Interviewing (OARS)
- Screening and Assessment
- Models of Brief Interventions – FRAMES and 5As
- Practical Tools and Techniques, including the Decisional Balance and Change Rulers
- Websites and Mobile Apps
- Summary of Key Learning
- Post-Course questions
- Certificate of Completion
Are You Ready To Start?